Sunday, August 23, 2009

on being extravagant

To inaugurate this blog, I offer this passage from Henry David Thoreau, which I intend to be the theme with which this blog is, well, blogged. Love to all of you from Nepal. More to come on my situation soon. Credit for this inspiration goes to Mark Retzlaff, who gifted me the anthology whence it came.
________________

I fear chiefly lest my experience not be extra-vagant enough, may not wander far enough beyond the narrow limits of my daily experience, so as to be adequate to the truth of which I have been convinced. Extra vagance! it depends on how you are yarded...

I am convinced that I cannot exaggerate enough even to lay the foundation of a true expression.....

Why level downward to our dullest perception always, and praise that as common sense? The commonest sense is the sense of men asleep, which they express by snoring....

“They pretend,” as I hear, “that the verses of Kabir have four different senses; illusion, spirit, intellect, and the esoteric doctrine of the Vedas”; but in this part of the world it is considered a ground for complaint if a man's writings admit of more than one interpretation. While England endeavors to cure the potato-rot, will not any endeavor to cure the brain-rot, which prevails so much more widely and fatally?

Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment